2 avocadoes, diced
1 large tomato, peeled & diced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Gently toss all ingredients together in bowl (you want it chunky). Serve with tortilla chips.
Seven Layer Southwestern Dip
(the amounts in this recipe do not have to be exact - just have fun with it!)
1 small can refried beans
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 (15oz.) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color - I prefer red)
1/4 cup sliced green onion
8 oz. sour cream
2 fresh jalapenos, sliced (you can use less, or omit if desired)
1 tsp. shredded lime peel
1 cup (8 oz. jar) chunky salsa, drained
1/2 avocado, diced
2/3 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, or muenster work well)
1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- Line 12" platter with beans, then cover with lettuce.
- Stir together black beans (that have been rinsed & drained), bell pepper & green onion. Spoon on top of lettuce, leaving a slight border of lettuce.
- Dollop sour cream on top & spread, leaving border.
- Sprinkle with jalapenos & lime peel.
- Stir together drained salsa & avocado. Spoon over sour cream layer, leaving border.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, again leaving border & top with olives.
It's fun to brown some Chorizo sausage & mix it in with the beans before spreading them on the platter!Serve immediately or cover & chill up to 8 hours. I like this best with Fritos Scoops, but any tortilla chip works!