Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Inaugural Post!

Well, this is my very first post on my very first blog, Cooking in North Georgia! I am starting this blog because I want to share my love of food and cooking with others! I cook big meals for my family on the weekends and usually two or three times during the week. Cooking for friends is also high on the priority list! I will be sharing all sorts of recipes with you. Those that I have been making "forever" as well as new ones that I try & fall in love with! Fear not, only the ones that were a big hit will be passed on. I would also love to hear about your favorite recipes!



I have loved Julia Child since I was about 5 years old; I used to tell my mother that I wanted to be Julia when I grew up! I am also inspired by Ina Garten and her philosophy of using the best, freshest ingredients that you can find. Julia believed in that too! I love all types of cooking and my recipes will range from healty to splurge (think butter, cheese, heavy cream!!). My favorite food in the world is Maine Lobster, steamed or boiled, with nothing but drawn butter. To die for! I also love Southern Fried Chicken, but who doesn't?!?!

The inaugural recipe is one that is a family favorite. Never, to my knowledge, has this recipe been prepared and not loved by all who tried it! This came from my grandmother, Nanny, and it has been in our family for over 40 years. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!!

Finger Lickin' Chicken Wings
(We call them "Sticky Wings")



5 lbs. chicken wings

1 Cup brown sugar

3/4 Cup dry sherry

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1 Cup soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, crushed



Cut off & discard tips of wings. Cut remaining wings at joint. Place wing pieces on a shallow baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, sherry, dry mustard, soy sauce & garlic in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat & cook at a low simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.



Remove wings from oven & pour off pan drippings. Pour sauce over wings & continue baking one hour longer. Turn wings every 20 minutes. Cook until sauce has been absorbed & wings are deeply glazed.



These sticky wings will cause your paper napkin to stick to your fingers - which evokes great laughter from the children. For those of you who do not enjoy eating paper, you can wet cloth napkins with warm water & give one to each person on a small plate. Or, as the name implies, just lick your fingers - often!

No comments:

Post a Comment